Date(s) - 10/24/2017 - 10/25/2017
Celebrating What Unites Us – For over 40 years, WIC has helped young families in Washington State by providing healthy foods, nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and referrals to other critical services. Join us to celebrate and build on the success of WIC. In addition, we will be celebrating the 30 year anniversary of Nutrition First (originated as the Washington Association of Local WIC Agencies in 1987)!
Embracing our Strengths – WIC services are more important now than ever! While at the conference we will learn about the many ways we can build on our strengths to support families so they can thrive.
Sharing our Kindness – As we welcome families into WIC, we have the ability to improve health outcomes and ensure children have a successful start in school. During the conference we will learn new ways to share and show our kindness to clients, ourselves, and our co-workers.
Slide Show - Please Submit Photos!
1. What – share photos of your staff, clinic, and clients doing WIC work. We’d love to see staff doing the work they love with families, kids, and babies. • Are you participating in community events, like World Breastfeeding Week? • Are you giving out FMNP at the Farmers Market? • Do you have sweet moments from your clinic, like smiling staff greeting clients? • Do you have historical photos of staff? We’re also celebrating 30 years of Nutrition First (aka WALWICA). • Do you have group education sessions? • Do you have WIC moments you’d love to show a small group of 700 of your peers?
2. When – photos are due to the Slideshow committee by August 31, 2017. • Photos sent after August 31 will be at the discretion of the committee for addition into the slide show. All photos may not be used.
3. How – Email all photos to WaWICPictures@gmail.com. Help us by: • Selecting one person per agency or sub-agency to collect and submit photos. • Naming each photo (file name) with the name of your agency, staff or event name and other information. • Ensuring you have a signed Photo Consent form for all client and staff photos. It’s the responsibility of the agency to complete and retain necessary agency Photo Consent forms. If you don’t have an agency release form of your own, you can use the Nutrition First Photo Release Form 2017. • Staff names are optional – although we all like to see our friend’s names because we sometimes talk on the phone and it’s nice to put a face to a name.
4. Who – YOU! Start taking photos now! Look for past photos with a historical view! Share with us how your clinic: Celebrates what unites us, Embraces our strengths, and Shares our kindness! Looking forward to seeing you and your staff, clinics, and clients on the big screen in October!
At the Conference…
Engaging and Relevant Speakers! Hear new information, stretch your thinking, gather new ideas, and take home practical tips that you can implement in your work and life right away.
Local Agency Sharing Posters! Local WIC agencies showcase their work so attendees can gather new ideas for improving services, from Breastfeeding Support and Peer Counseling to Nutrition Education and Cooking.
Tradeshow and Exhibits! Over 20 exhibitors will help attendees have fun learning about the latest products and services available to WIC Program participants and providers. The Tradeshow will open Tuesday evening with a reception.
Raffle Baskets! This fun tradition from past WIC conferences will be back this year. Stay tuned for more information.
Physical Activity! Morning group physical activity options will be available and fun movement breaks included during the conference day.
Networking! Enjoy some real “face time” – there will be many chances to network with new and old WIC friends.
Monday October 23 – Registration Open for those arriving on Monday – 4:00pm-7:00pm
Tuesday October 24 – Conference Day 1 – Registration Open 7:30am-5:00pm
7:30-8:30 – Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:30-5:00 – Opening Speaker/General Sessions/Lunch/Awards/General Sessions – Grand Ballroom
- Janet Charles – Washington State WIC
- Douglas Greenway – National WIC Association
- Nancy Amidei (Local advocate who was involved in writing WIC legislation in DC in 1972)
- Dr. Ben Danielson, Health Equity
- “Aunty Cathy” Cathy Breedon – Hot Topics in Nutrition
5:00 – 7:30 pm – Reception/Hors d’oeuvres – Tradeshow Opening – Northwest Rooms
Wednesday October 25 – Conference Day 2- Registration Open 7:15 am -5:00 pm
7:15-8:15 –Continental Breakfast/Trade Show Open/Local Agency Poster Sharing
8:15-1:00 General Sessions/Lunch – Grand Ballroom
- Laurel Wilson – PG/BF Marijuana use
- Sarita Maybin “How to Stay Positive and Focused in Uncertain Times.”
1:30 – 5:00 – Concurrent Workshops