Refugee Resettlement Office Seeks Volunteers
The Preferred Community (PC) Program served by the Refugee Resettlement Office (RRO) of Seattle, an affiliate of Episcopal Migration Ministries, is seeking a variety of volunteers to support the services provided to some of the most vulnerable refugees, parolees, and asylees they serve.
The PC Program at RRO provides intensive case management for particularly vulnerable refugees, including those with medical or mental health issues, single parent households, LGBTQ+ refugees, and elderly refugees without local family support. With recent world events, RRO is working with an influx of refugees from Afghanistan who need the support and assistance of their community to resettle and begin to acclimate to their new lives in the Pacific Northwest.
RRO is currently setting up a number of support groups to better provide their PC clients with specialized assistance. The groupings include pregnant clients, new mothers with young children, youth and young adults, adults with medical conditions, and elderly clients. For these support groups to reach their full potential, RRO is seeking help from the community in the form of:
- Volunteers with specialization in the following areas to present to and lead discussions with PC clients on a variety of topics (e.g., prenatal health and wellness; what to expect at U.S. hospitals; newborn needs, senior nutrition and exercise, etc.):
- Prenatal care, health, wellness, and nutrition
- Labor and delivery
- Neonatal care, health, wellness, and nutrition
- Pediatric care
- Geriatric health and wellness
- Volunteers who want to assist in the following or similar activities:
- Transportation to medical appointments
- English conversation partners
- Collection of donated goods
- Volunteers with the following language skills to assist with interpretation and translation:
Most volunteer activities will occur either virtually or at the RRO location in Auburn. Please contact Katie Spiekermann, PC Capacity Developer, at email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering or would like additional information on the type of support you might be able to provide to the PC Program. Visit the RRO website (https://www.dioceserroseattle.org/) to learn more about all the services they provide.